While considering the upgrade to 43Leads, we tested the company’s existing web contact forms—one for prospective clients, and one for job candidates. We found that the company wasn’t receiving emails from either one. After additional investigation, it was discovered that their IP address had been blacklisted for several weeks. The company didn’t notice on their own because they don’t receive many contacts on any given week through their website. They immediately moved to 43Leads, and the next day they received a solid lead! We don’t know how many leads were lost before the transition to 43Leads, but now the company doesn’t have to worry about missing any more.